Friday 30 May 2014

Exploring Tiong Bahru

It is Sisters Date Thursday!
Hurray! My Sissy is finally done with her final paper so that means a time out together! After debating between the norm of shopping or the quaint cafe hopping, we decided to explore Tiong Bahru, a place known to be rejuvenate into a bustling, hippie, indie street of cafes and quirky stores.

In Tiong Bahru, most of the cafes and stores are hidden away from the modern city, in a small alley of Yong Siak Street and Moh Guan Terrace. Along these streets, lie places like 40 hands, P.S cafe, Open door policy or ODP for short and of course, the famous Plain Vanilla. After exploring the place, we landed in this minimalist, indie cafe called Flock Cafe. I love the ambiance, it was small but cosy and the food was delicious. They served All-day breakfast, Pasta and sweet savories. My sis settled for the classic egg Benedict while I chose Croissants with a splash of scrambled egg and bacon for a change. Oh my, it is one of the best croissants I have ever tasted in Singapore.

After filling our tummies, we headed onto the next stop of exploring the legendary booksactually and Stranglets. I love both stores. They are full of unique, out of the norm, vintage books and merchandise. Although the things are quite pricey, I feel that they are worth the dollar. My eyes kept scanning the entire shop of Booksactually. I got to admit, being born a bookworm, I fell in love with the place instantly and my eyes lit up at all the pretty books. Silently, I made a note to myself- I need to get my hands on some of these books (when I got the money HAHAHA). Luckily for me, the two shops allowed photography so I managed to take away some visual memory of the two places.

After walking the area for a few hours, Tiong Bahru gave me the impression of a laid back, out of town quietness which gives one a breathing space out of the stressful city life. It is definitely a perfect area to sit down, drink a cup of coffee and read a book in your own little personal space. I got to say, it is definitely nice to get away and explore different areas of Singapore once in a while, to further experience what this small red dot can offer. More importantly, nothing beats spending a day out with the person closest to me and just immersing in this little bonding time. :)

Here are some photos of the places I went in Tiong Bahru.

1. Flock Cafe
78 Moh Guan Terrace #01-25.
Tiong Bahru Estate 
Singapore 162078 






2. BooksActually
9 Yong Siak St, 168645




Their House cat snuggling in the bookshelf amongst the books. Too adorable! <3





Large Liquor bottles. BooksActually not only sell books but in a small corner, they sell vintage stuff as well, from music albums, to postcards, to decor to even utensils. 





Sam Willows <3



3. Stranglets
7 Yong Siak St, 168644
Tel: 6222 1456











4. Plain Vanilla Bakery
1D Yong Siak St, Singapore 168641
Tel: 6465 5942


Credits: google. ( Did not managed to get a full shot of the place) :(



I chose Red Velvet and Earl Grey Lavender. I love the Earl Grey Lavender as it is not too sweet and I love Earl Grey sooo. 

Besides these 4 places, there are still many other places in Tiong Bahru, go check them out too! :)


Clothes in photo:

Top: lace top from anticlockwise
Bottom: Indie printed skirt from Theeditorsmarket 


With love and fatih- J



1 comment:

  1. Lovely dress :) M&MFASHIONBITES mmfashionbites.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete